If you have ever watched the show “Lie to Me” you know that you can spot a liar by their micro expressions. A micro expression is described as being an ” involuntary facial expression shown on the face of humans according to emotions experienced.” You may not be able to spot a micro expression just yet but according to an article by Paul M. Clikeman, PH.D.,CFE there are 10 tell-tale signs of deception.
- Lack of Self-Reference – truthfully people tend to use “I” to describe their actions.
- Verb Tense – truthful people will use events in the past tense.
- Answering Questions with Questions
- Equivocation – avoiding questions with statements of uncertainty or vague statements.
- Oaths – giving as little information as possible.
- Euphemisms – using mild of vague synonyms to the action.
- Alluding to Actions
- Lack of Detail – keep statements simple and brief.
- Narrative Balance
- Mean Length of Utterance
To read more in-depth the 10 tell-tale signs read the entire article HERE.