Solutions for Personal Trainers: Share a Healthy Summer Recipe!

Ok, so I’ve been inundating readers with data from the Center for Disease Control, the Weight of the Nation documentary, and the epidemic of childhood obesity, diabetes and heart disease.  Where is the good news?

There is good news and one thing we try to do in our personal trainer education degree programs is to offer good news and solutions to clients. Solutions may be in the form of encouragement for making lifestyle changes; suggestions for physical activities and workouts; or even sharing nutritional concepts.

Today, I’m going to share one of my favorite healthy summer recipes and ask you to return the favor!  Do you have a great recipe for beets? What do you do with eggplant? Can you share a cole slaw recipe that is perfect for a picnic? Do you grill kabobs and have a secret marinade you are willing to share?  Let’s hear what you’ve got.

Below is my recipe for one of my favorite summer treats; tomato bread salad.  Let me know your thoughts and share your favorites with us.

Tomato Bread Salad

6 cups of Earthbound Farms Power Greens (this contains kale, chard, and spinach). Add 1 avocado – sliced, 1 cup of sliced grape (or heirloom) tomatoes, 1 diced orange pepper, 1 cup of diced cucumber, and 1 cup of fresh mozzarella cut into bite-sized chunks.

Dressing: Mix 1/4 cup of olive oil with 1 Tbsp of white wine vinegar. Add 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed. Add 1 Tbsp of diced fresh basil and 1 Tbsp of diced fresh mint. Stir in 1 tsp of grainy mustard and add 1/4 tsp of cracked pepper.  Stir together and drizzle over the salad.

Next, cut 3-4 one-inch slices of a good asiago cheese bread. Brush each side with olive oil and grill in a skillet until each side is browned. Let cool. Break up bits of bread into small pieces and sprinkle over the salad.

Bon appetit!

This entry was posted in Health Fitness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.