Books That Influence You

I’ve spent the last few months rediscovering and revisiting all the books and other influences that helped me decide to become a librarian. Like many professions, librarianship is a delicate mixture of “science” and “art”. When you’re learning a profession, any profession, you learn the science; the “how do you do this”… part from books pretty much. The “art” part, your passion, the “I want to do this for the rest of my life” part is a whole different matter. I think you learn that from people who inspire you; really good teachers or a special family member.
I’ve posed that same question to a number of different faculty members, and have gotten quite a range of responses. I’m going to share some of these with you over the next few weeks.                                                                                                                                           When I asked Victoria Jones, one of our Medical Assistant faculty this question, her response was immediate and given without hesitation. The book that most influenced her was “All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten” But she reworked it to “All I need to know I learned From My Dad.” 
She says “… that there are many “isms” (words of wisdom) that I follow that came from my parents, mostly my Dad … I had education or formal training and that gave me the “book smarts”, but for most practical purposes, a lot came from my parents who are very “down to earth” common people. These are the “things” or general “life isms” that came from them:
• Just because you are in a “bad” situation doesn’t make you a loser for life, you can change it IF you so desire…get busy and work or JUST DO IT!!!!
• When you come to the “fork in the road”, FOLLOW the road was my Dad’s statement. NOTE: my statement was “but I do not know which “fork” is the road?” Dad, “Chose!” That was Dad’s comment… think about it…it makes sense!
• If you want something bad enough, you will work for it, no matter how much it costs or how much time it involves!!! You will appreciate it more!!!
• Just because it is expensive, does not necessarily mean it is “better”. Research it, look at it, then get to work! Sometimes you can make an adaptation to what you have and it will work better…better known in my immediate family as the “fiddle factor”!
• Just because it “is” does not necessarily mean it “will be”; it is your decision on what comes next!
• Be pleasant, you NEVER know when you may have to “eat” your words”!
Ms. Jones concluded our visit with the following thoughts “I am where I am in life because I chose to do something. My way of getting there may not be the same way you got there, but I am here…take the time to educate yourself, work hard at your school or work and then you can play hard…it is your reward!”
What book influenced you the most to start your professional career?

This entry was posted in Sioux Falls Campus and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Books That Influence You

1. Helen Meyers says:

I’d ad a book I just finished – The Truth About Leadership, Kouzes and Posner. In September, I’ll be leading the Orrville Leadership Lab Class of 2012-13 in a review of Chapter 4: Focusing on the Future Sets Leaders Apart. Our son Jarrod Meyers is dean of faculty in Sioux Falls – loves it!