Students Team Up with the United Nations to End World Hunger

Fall Quarter 2012 Composition Freericers with Instructor Jodie Liedke

“I have never heard of Freerice.com before I started attending Globe University. . . . Looking around the Freerice website and learning that over five million people have been fed because of Freerice.com, you see the passion other people have also. . . . [I] cannot wait to help be part of adding more to the grammar section on Freerice and feeding the world,” said Melissa Hundt, Business Administration student.

My Globe-La Crosse Composition students are teaming up with the United Nations World Food Program for a service-learning project.  Service-learning is a teaching method that connects academic study, practical experience, and civic engagement. In this case, my students are creating grammar exercises to be published on Freerice.com to expand their “English Grammar” section to encourage visitors to return to the website and keep playing as we work to make it more challenging.

Freerice is a website that provides free education world-wide through fun games.  For every answer visitors get correct, 10 grains of rice are donated to feed people in countries all over the world!

After I introduced the students to Freerice, they were so excited and moved by the project that the class decided they wanted to do even more by creating further awareness for the program.

“Freerice is an awesome way for people to help others in different countries. . . . All you need is to spare some time. . . . I raised about 1,500 grains of rice between the math and grammar sections. . . . It’s a great way to improve oneself and help others. I’m going to tell my family and spread the word,” said Christian Wichinski, a first quarter Business Administration student.

If you would like to join the project and be a part of the movement to offer free education to all and end world hunger follow three easy steps:

• Visit Freerice
  • Create an account
  • Join the “Globe University La Crosse, WI, USA” group
  • Play and earn rice
  • Spread the word

Join us! Let’s see how much Globe-La Crosse’s staff, faculty, students, and our friends, family, and community members can raise!

This entry was posted in Applied Learning, La Crosse Campus and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.