Do You Win Awards When You Read? Ethan Does!

The rink was pandemonium as the Fargo Force Hockey played their final game of the season before playoffs. It had been a good season so far and the game was another sellout. In the crowd was Ethan Claus. While he liked hockey, he was at the game for another reason: Ethan loved Harry Potter! Because of that love of Harry, Ethan had read 4,200 minutes as part of the Fargo Force Reading Program.

Fargo Force Reading Program

Ethan Claus read 4,200 minutes as part of the Fargo Force Reading Program.

Partnering with Globe University-Moorhead and Spicy Pie Pizza, each month an award is given to a student who excelled in the reading program. In April, Ethan received that honor. Ethan had been invited to a Fargo Force game of his choice with his family to receive the award certificates and prizes from Globe University and Spicy Pie.

The purpose of the Fargo Force Reading Program is to encourage youth in our community to develop a love for reading and to promote the value, importance and enjoyment of reading and literacy. The program is designed to reward those students who spend their time reading.

“Globe University is a natural fit for this partnership,” said Melinda Rustad, Globe University-Moorhead campus director. “However, for us, it goes beyond the education aspect. To instill the love of reading in a child gives him the keys to education, imagination and the ability to make their dreams come true. You can learn to do anything when you know how to read.”

Ethan was presented the award and prizes between periods of the game, broadcasting on the big Jumbotrons around the arena.  Very poised under the eye of the camera, he graciously conducted the interview sharing, “I’m going to be excited to receive the award and prizes. I’m going to go back to Centennial Elementary and show my friends.”

This entry was posted in Moorhead Campus and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Do You Win Awards When You Read? Ethan Does!

1. Thanks for promoting reading and literacy GU Moorehead!

2. The next time I learn a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, however I actually thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you can repair should you werent too busy searching for attention.