If you’re searching for a job, you already know how stressful it can be. One way to tackle the stress of finding the perfect opportunity is to attend career fairs. Career fairs, or job fairs, can be advantageous for you when it comes to finding the perfect job for you.
As a student, you can get a head start on finding your career by attending career fairs while you are still at school. However, before attending the fair, be sure you are prepared! Here are five ways you can prepare for an upcoming career fair.
1. Print copies of your resume. It’s great to have multiple copies on hand so you can give them to the employer right away! You may even be interviewed right on the spot.
2. Research the companies that are attending the fair. Most often, the hosting organization will provide a list of the companies that will be there. Taking time to research the companies before you speak to a representative will show initiative and interest. If you’re up to it, you can even send out a quick note to representatives on LinkedIn before the career fair telling them that you look forward to meeting them!
3. Be prepared to network! Director of Career Services, Jenny Schroth, advocates that career fairs are a great way to meet new people and get your foot in the door. Go in to the fair with a positive attitude. “You can network your way to a new career by attending a job fair,” Schroth said.
4. Prepare a 20-30 second “elevator speech.” This is a great way to introduce yourself to a prospective employer. If you pratice your introduction before you attend, you will likely not be as nervous when introducing yourself.
5. Prepare questions for employers ahead of time. Employers will be impressed with your proactive attitude and thoughtfulness.
While these tips are just the beginning, you can feel good knowing you are prepared to attend a job fair after you carefully consider each one here. For more tips and tricks on impressing employers at job fairs, please contact the Director of Career Services, Jenny Schroth, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-364-1137. For a list of upcoming career fairs and career-related events in our area, see the list below.
Fox Valley Bilingual Career Fair
Where: Fox Cities Workforce Development Center
1802 Appleton Rd., Menasha, WI
When: Wednesday, Oct. 17, 1-4 p.m.
Using LinkedIn in your Job Search (Presentation)
Presented by Primerica and Stellar Blue Web Design
Where: Globe University campus, room 208
When: Monday, Oct. 22, 9:30 a.m.
Open Interviews: Sales Professionals and Store Management for Pearce Wireless
Where: Globe University-Appleton
5045 W Grande Market Drive, Grand Chute, WI
When: Thursday, Oct. 25, 3-7 p.m.