Below are the 10 duties the graphic design students completed to revamp Hanson’s marketing efforts:
- Met with Hanson (the client) to determine the scope of a project
- Researched and explained strategies that would help reach the client’s particular audience
- Determined the message the design should portray
- Created images that identified with the client’s service
- Developed graphics and visual images for product illustrations, logos, and website
- Selected colors, images, text style, and layout
- Presented the design to the client
- Incorporated changes recommended by the client into the final design
- Reviewed designs for errors before printing or publishing
- Printed product illustration (See image on the right)
“I was very pleased with what the students produced,” said Hanson. “They were very thorough and professional. Now, I just need to figure out my next step to get my website to look like this.”
Hanson commented on how she would like to hire one of the students to complete her marketing materials and website.
Interactive Media and Graphic Design Program Chair Erik Strommer notes that this was a great project for our students to learn what it is like to work with a real client. He said that these types of applied learning projects give our students concrete experience for their resumes and materials for their portfolios.
Interactive Media & Graphic Design Program:
The focus of the interactive media and graphic design program includes training in artistic design principles and traditional and digital media. This program teaches students everything from basic web design principles and to traditional Photoshop and digital media.
The goal of this program is to produce graphic design professionals that are able to create visual concepts, by hand or using computer software, to communicate ideas that inspire that will help inform and captivate consumers. Branding is another aspect of this career field. They help to make an organization recognizable by selecting color, images, or logo designs that represent a particular idea or identity to be used in advertising and promotions.