Are you applying for the community service scholarship this quarter? You should be!
“I believe the community service scholarship is the most important scholarship Globe University offers. It rewards students that demonstrate the We Care attitude [that] we at Globe hope to display every day,” said Jonathan Allen, financial aid manager at Globe University-Appleton and Green Bay.
Recently, veterinary technology student Marissa Feucht was awarded the community service scholarship. Marissa said, “The community service scholarship has helped me get closer to achieving my goals because it allowed me to broadcast what I have achieved and essentially get awarded for doing so.”
Marissa created a petition to install flashing stop signs and/or overhead stop signs at a dangerous intersection in her local community.
“On September 16, 2013, there was a severe accident at State Highway 33 and County Trunk P, Town of Herman, Dodge County. This intersection is about a mile from where I live. There have been numerous accidents at this intersection throughout the years. I decided this would be a perfect community service project to attempt,” said Marissa.
Petitioning for support
Marissa said that she garnered the support of her family and neighbors, and even asked local businesses to sign her petition to have the flashing stop signs and/or overhead stop signs installed.
“It didn’t take long for the word to get around and everyone was eager to be a part of this change in the community,” said Marissa.
With over 650 signatures on the petition in a few short months, Marissa sent the petition to the Department of Transportation, Senator Scott Fitzgerald, Representative Mark Born, the Dodge County Board of Supervisors, and the Dodge County Highway Commissioner for review.
Overhead stop signs were installed
“The petition created awareness of the dangers of this intersection and change was being implemented. Although flashing lights were not installed at this time, the overhead stop signs have made the intersection more visible for drivers to see,” said Marissa.
Community Service scholarship details
Globe University offers a scholarship to reward students for community service and continued enrollment. Each Globe University location can offer two community service scholarships per quarter to qualifying applicants. The scholarships provide tuition assistance to selected students based on the following criteria.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a diploma, associate or bachelor’s degree program.
- The applicant must be a continuing student by having completed at least one term at Globe University.
- The applicant must not be in arrears with financial aid or have an outstanding balance with Globe University.
- The applicant must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- The applicant must meet and maintain a 90 percent attendance ratio of required contact hours.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per quarter.
- The applicant must provide a minimum of a one-half page written summary of community service activity performed within the prior three months.
- Agree to let Globe University promote the student’s community service involvement.
For more information on our scholarships, check out this link. Be sure to connect with a financial aid representative to assist you with any questions.