The goal of any college is to educate students in a program of interest in which they would like to work someday.
One of Globe University’s primary goals is placing students in their chosen career field. Therefore, each campus has a dedicated career services team that prides itself on helping students find their dream career.
The Globe University-Woodbury campus Career Services Department compiled a list of tips to help students and graduates prepare for and land that dream job.
“I would say one of the most important aspects in finding a job is networking,” said Laura Kropp, career services coordinator at the Globe University-Woodbury campus. “According to a report from ABC News, 80 percent of today’s jobs are landed through networking.”
Job Search Tips:
- Update Your Resume: Have your resume updated and ready to go. If you need help updating your resume, stop by the career services department and they will help you update it.
- Know Your Qualifications: Research job descriptions in order to know what jobs you qualify for. Don’t waste your time seeking opportunities that you know you are not qualified or trained for.
- Be sure to research the company you are applying to and possible new initiatives that you could talk about during the interview.
- Send a Cover Letter: Even if an employer doesn’t require one or you don’t think they will even read it, send it! They will think of your candidacy as going above and beyond expectations.
- Be Prepared: Be sure to practice your interviewing skills.
- Dress to Impress: You only get one chance to make a first impression.
- Ask Questions: It shows you’re interested and engaged.
- Send a Thank You Card or Email: Manners matter.
“As an instructor and a career services coordinator, I see the importance of higher education, but also how to apply that education to the workforce. It is our goal to see students be prepared for where their education is going to take them,” said Theresa Faustini, instructor and career services coordinator at the Globe University-Woodbury campus. “Finding that great job entails a full spectrum of coursework, interviewing skills and a killer resume—we will help you with all of it!”
About Career Services:
Throughout a student’s time at Globe University, as they prepare to graduate, and through any later employment transitions, our career services department will support students in their career goals by offering the following:
- One-on-one help on creating/editing resumes and cover letters
- Interview tips and mock interviews
- On-campus job fairs
- Identifying and communicating job opportunities while students are in school
- Identifying career positions of interest within a program
- Professional workshops