Minnesota is known for its high quality of living, lakes and outdoor opportunities, friendly people (Minnesota nice!)…and, of course, a spate of Fortune 500 companies.
Looking at major employers in the Twin Cities, UnitedHealth Group comes in at No. 1 in terms of revenue and No. 10 for most employees.
It’s one of several insights that can be gleaned from the two lists from CNNMoney and Twin Cities Business magazine, respectively.
Minnesota Employers Ranked by Revenue
- UnitedHealth Group, $101,862.0 (22)
- Target, $69,865.0 (38)
- Best Buy, $50,272.0 (53)
- SuperValu, $37,534.0 (75)
- CHS, $36,915.8 (78)
- 3M, $29,611.0 (102)
- U.S. Bancorp, $21,399.0 (132)
- Medtronic, $15,933.0 (164)
- General Mills, $14,880.2 (181)
- Land O’Lakes, $12,849.3 (210)
- Xcel Energy, $10,654.8 (246)
Rank by Number of Employees
Via Twin Cities Business magazine, the entity that employs the most people in Minnesota is the state itself.
The top 11, along with how many employees each had in 2012 in parentheses:
- State of Minnesota (53,824)
- Federal Government (44,543)
- Mayo Clinic (33,389)
- Target (30,773)
- University of Minnesota (25,166)
- Allina Health (23,869)
- Walmart (20,696)
- Wells Fargo (20,000)
- Fairview Health (19,594)
- UnitedHealth Group (18,000)
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (17,962)
3M comes in at No. 12 on the list, according to the magazine.