Is Money Tight? FoodShare a Possible Solution for Students

by Laura Wichert, FoodShare Outreach Specialist

Many students are struggling to make ends meet. If you’ve had to choose between eating lunch or buying gas, or could just use help paying for groceries, it’s worth the time to find out if you may be eligible for FoodShare Wisconsin benefits (also known as the QUEST card).


Laura Wichert a FoodShare Outreach Specialist will be on campus to answer your questions.

FoodShare is a food assistance program and is for anyone with low or no income. This includes working people or those receiving Social Security, SSI, SSDI or Unemployment. You could receive monthly deposits on a debit-like card (called the QUEST card) to help with your food purchases.

If your income is less than the amount shown for your household size, chances are good that you will be eligible. Call the FoodShare Helpline today to complete a confidential prescreening and make an appointment for free application assistance.

Household size      Maximum monthly income allowable
1                              $1,816
2                             $2,452
3                             $3,090
4                             $3,726

To learn if you might be eligible for benefits or to make an appointment for application assistance, call the Second Harvest FoodShare Helpline at 1-877-366-3635. The call is confidential and will only take a few minutes.

In addition, a FoodShare Outreach Specialist will be at Globe University-Madison West Tuesday, August 28 from 9:30- 11:30 am and Wednesday, August 29 from 4- 6 pm. She will be able to answer questions, run eligibility pre-screens and help complete applications for benefits. Call to make an appointment or simply drop-in.

Students (age 18-49) enrolled for six credits or more must meet one of the following:

• is enrolled in a technical school that will result in obtaining a certificate or diploma in 2 years or less, and is obtaining a certificate or diploma that will lead to employment that is in demand
• is employed at least 20 hours a week
• is participating in a state or federal work study program
• is caring for a child under age 6 or does not have adequate child care for a child under age 12
• is a single parent enrolled on a full-time basis and is caring for a child under age 12
• is receiving W-2 payments or enrolled in W-2 employment
• is physically or mentally unfit for gainful employment
• is participating in an on-the-job training program by an employer

Call today at 1-877-366-3635