We can learn a lot by watching animals stretch. Have you ever seen an unhappy kitty? A little massage and stretching every day are not only good for the body, but good for your attitude.
How many times have you awakened with a sore back, headache or just feeling cranky? I know as the years pass by I can definitely say I can relate to all of those issues. I have been a massage therapist for 20 years so you might think that I don’t have any aches and pains. Well unfortunately that just isn’t the case, I am only human. I too must find ways to work out the kinks in the morning so I can start my day with a smile on my face and a little less tension in my muscles. Below I have included a few techniques I use that might just help you start a day with a better attitude and less discomfort.
Remember to always be sure to consult a physician before starting any new exercise or stretching routine, especially if you are under a Doctor’s Supervision.
Before getting out of bed:
- Sit up and put your legs straight out in front of you and slowly bend at the waist and reach towards your toes. Do this slowly. Do not over stretch your muscles, only stretch until you feel a slight resistance, slowly sit back up and repeat the stretch 3 – 5 times, holding the stretch a little longer each time. Each time you stretch you should be able to stretch a little further.
- Now massage each leg starting at the upper thigh and working down to the ankle and then reverse, do this on each leg 3 times. You can put a hand on each side of the leg and just squeeze the muscle tissue.
- Grab a foot and start squeezing. Take the foot between both hands and squeeze and if you are flexible enough you can actually use your thumbs to massage the bottom of your foot. This feels so good and it gives your circulatory system a jump start.
After getting out of bed:
- Stand and reach your arms up over your head and reach for the stars, then slowly bend over and hang like a rag doll. Slowly stand up and repeat 3 – 5 times. Be slow in your movements so you don’t get a head rush. If you are unable to stand you can do this stretch while sitting in a chair.
- Now if you want you can jump up and down and this will help to stimulate the energy flow in your body and get you energized for the day. (Of course if you live in an apartment be careful of waking your downstairs neighbor.) J
These are just a few things to help get you started. I hope you enjoy! Remember that just a little massage and stretching can help make it a wonderful day!