If you are like me, you typically start to feel a little tired or glassy eyed in the early afternoon. I would like to give you some quick and easy techniques that may help revive you during that afternoon slump.
When working as a massage therapist I often would become tired around mid-afternoon. I worked crazy hours, as most massage therapists do, and I had to learn some tricks to keep me alert and focused on my clients.
You don’ have to be a massage therapist to benefit from these tips; whether you are a teacher, a corporate guru or a construction worker these simple techniques can help revive you when you’re feeling tired or worn out.
The first step in this process is to stop what you are doing and take a break for 15 minutes. It only takes a few minutes to feel refreshed and ready to go on with your day. I suggest scheduling at least two 15 minute breaks during the day when you can try these techniques.
- Take a walk around the block and breathe some fresh air. If you can’t go outside, walk around inside the building.
- Sit in a quiet dark place, close your eyes and take some deep breaths until you feel your heart beat slow down. Visualize somewhere that makes you feel happy and relaxed. Enjoy this “vacation” for 15 minutes.
- Perform some simple neck stretches or low back stretches.
- Call a loved one and tell them you are thinking about them.
- Drink a big glass of room temperature water and eat a healthy snack.
As I stated above I started doing these techniques when I was a massage therapist 20 years ago, however I still do them today as a Network Dean of Massage Therapy for Globe University. I find that just a few minutes a day of “me time” can help me get through my day with grace and ease.
Give one or all of these a try, you might be surprised at the amazing benefits.