Are you planning to take a break from job searching during the summertime? If so, you may want to re-think this strategy and stick with the job hunt even during the upcoming summer months. New research shows that many employers are looking to hire during the summer in preparation for their busy fall season. In addition, since other job seekers may be putting the job search on hold during the summer, there is likely to be less competition for the jobs you truly want! Here are 6 tips on how to be successful during your job search this summer:
1. Take advantage of summertime events- The summer is generally a time when many people and businesses are hosting events such as networking opportunities, barbeques, festivals, etc. Make sure to attend these events in your area, as they are excellent opportunities to meet people and discuss your career objectives.
2. Stay positive- Remember: if you don’t get the first job you apply for, that’s
ok! Keep a positive attitude and be persistent. Your hard work and dedication to your job search will pay off.
3. Develop and maintain a job search schedule- This is an extremely valuable tool
for being successful in your job hunt. Make yourself a job searching schedule and stick to it! For example, make a goal of apply to 5 jobs per day. Having a schedule will help you to stay on track with your goal of finding the right job.
4. Build your network!- When attending social gatherings throughout the summer, make sure to discuss your career goals with your family, friends, and acquaintances. You never know who might be able to connect you to the right opportunity. Don’t forget to utilize social media as well. Sites like LinkedIn and Facebook can be used for job searching and are great ways to build your professional network.
5. Revamp your resume- Summer is the perfect time to take a look at your career
documents such as your resume, and make any updates and adjustments if needed.
If you’re looking to spruce up your resume, consider taking a class or obtaining a certification during the summertime. Remember that Career Services is more than happy to provide resume feedback as well!
6. Get outside- The warm summer weather is the perfect opportunity to be outdoors. Help your neighbor with a project, or attend a local baseball game. While doing these activities, discuss with others about the type of job you are looking for. This may lead to a new job lead or even a job offer!
Do you have additional questions regarding your job search? Connect with our Career Services Department today for assistance!