Often, many students wonder what is an academic advisor’s role in their education? According to this article, College Academic Advisors: A Valuable Student Resource |
Suite101.com, “Academic advisors are, by far, one of the most valuable resources for students on a college campus. Unfortunately, many students do not take advantage of this important student service.”
In addition, we’ve also added the following roles that we may play in helping support you on your journey:
- Cheerleader: We want to see students be successful and every day, we’re here to say “You can do it!”
- Encourager: We are there every step of the way encouraging you to maintain your focus and work towards your educational goal.
- Navigator: We’ll help you select your courses and map out an efficient path to completing your program.
- Problem Solver: We’ll work with you to overcome unexpected issues that may come up.
- Motivator: When motivation can be difficult to find, we are here to support you and get you back on track.
- Challenger: We may be the ones to tell you things you don’t always want to hear, but just know we are always acting in your best interests to keep you on track
- Mentor: We’ll suggest excellent resources to help you be successful including: Smarthinking Blackboard IM, and our campus resource centers.
- Listener: We are here to listen to you and your concerns, and we want you to feel comfortable coming to us to discuss issues that may be impacting your education.
Finally, to get the most out of your schooling, it is important to build a connection with your advisor, to work with them as you work towards your goals of earning a degree.
Academic advising is a valuable student resource and one that we hope you take advantage of throughout your degree program. We want to see you be successful in your journey, so please feel free to reach out to your academic advisor today, to see how we can work with you on achieving your goals.
About Amber Reeves
Amber Reeves has been the Dean of Students for the Online Division since June 2009, and when she’s not working with online students, she enjoys spending time with her family, including her husband, daughter, dog, and 2 cats.