Each March, Minnesota FoodShare directs The March Campaign, the largest food drive in the state that helps restock almost 300 food shelves across Minnesota. The Globe University-Woodbury campus happily partnered with Woodbury’s Christian Cupboard Emergency Food Shelf (CCEFS) to participate in The March Campaign by hosting a food drive throughout the month of March. The campus placed a barrel in the student commons for staff, students and community members to donate non-perishables (see recommended list below of 16 items to donate).
“In a country with an overabundance of food, no one should go hungry because of a lack of funds or technical and professional knowledge. We have the food, and we have the networks; we now need to support the providers,” said Congressman Jose E. Serrano.
Local Hunger Facts From CCEFS:
- Number of families served has grown from 90-120 people each week
- Families in need receive five to seven bags of groceries per visit
- 535,000 pounds of food distributed in 2012 to more than 2,500 families
- Approximately 40 percent of those served are children
Food Drive Logistics: The barrel (located near the elevator on the first level) will be emptied each week by CCEF. Please stop in and donate to help our local families in need. Community members are welcome!
What to donate:
- Pasta of all kinds
- Rice (Brown or White)
- Flour (Whole Wheat or White)
- Baby Food/Diapers/Wipes
- Personal Care Items
- Bean, Lentil, Minestrone or Split Pea Soup
- Canned/Dried Beans (Kidney, Garbanzo, Pinto, etc)
- Canned Tuna, Chicken, Ham or Salmon
- Canned Baked Beans
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce
- Dried Fruit (Raisins, Prunes, Apricots)
- Canned fruit in Juice
About the Christian Cupboard Emergency food Shelf:
CCEFS provides help for those in need in the Woodbury, Minn., community. CCEFS was formed as a non-profit organization in 1983 by seven Woodbury area churches. The Woodbury Lutheran Church made space available to house CCEFS, and has remained the host church ever since.
Ten Local churches sponsor the CCEF: St. Ambrose Church, Guardian Angels Church, Woodbury Lutheran Church, Resurrection Lutheran Church, Trinity Presbyterian Church, Woodbury Baptist Church, Five Oaks Church, Woodbury Community Church, and King of Kings Lutheran Church.