Courage Center EMPOWER Scholarships Applications Now Accepted
EMPOWER Scholarships are open to ethnically diverse students accepted to, or enrolled in, an institution of higher learning. The EMPOWER scholarships were established in 1994. They are made possible through the David Hersey Endowment Fund.
Courage Center is a Minnesota-based, nonprofit rehabilitation and resource center that serves children and adults experiencing barriers to health and independence. Courage Center specializes in treating brain injury, spinal cord injury, stroke, chronic pain, autism, and disabilities experienced since birth. Founded in 1928, Courage Center offers advanced technologies and innovation provided in part through the efforts of thousands of volunteers and donors.
- Applicants must be a Minnesota or Western Wisconsin (i.e., St Croix, Pierce, Polk, Burnett counties) resident.
- Volunteer involvement in the community is required. Applicants must have demonstrated interest in medical or rehabilitation field by having some volunteer involvement related to a healthcare field.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale is required.
Fill out application and send the application and submit the following items by the deadline:
- Two letters of personal recommendation; one MUST come from a coordinator of volunteers and should include hours worked.
- Most recent transcript, grade or progress report (high school, trade school, or university).
- One letter of personal recommendation from a school faculty member.
- Copy of school acceptance letter if you are a new student or transferring to a new school.
- Applications will be accepted starting in January.
- Application deadline is May 15.
- Scholarships are awarded in June.
- Checks will be made out to the educational institution.
Phone: (763) 520-0214
Attn: EMPOWER Scholarship Committee
3915 Golden Valley Road
Minneapolis, MN 55422
GLOBE UNIVERSITY’S COMMUNITY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP
To reward students for community service and continued enrollment, each Globe University/Minnesota School of Business location offers two community service scholarships per quarter to qualifying applicants. The scholarships provide tuition assistance to selected students based on the following criteria.
Award Amount: $2,000 Annually
Eligibility and Award Guidelines
An applicant must:
- Be enrolled in a diploma, associate or bachelor’s degree program.
- Be a continuing student by having completed at least one term at Globe University/Minnesota School of Business.
- Not be in arrears with financial aid or have an outstanding balance with Globe University/Minnesota School of Business.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Meet and maintain a 90 percent attendance ratio of required contact hours.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 11 credits per quarter.
- Provide, as a scholarship application, a minimum of a one-half page written summary of community service activity performed within the prior three months.
- Agree to let Globe University/Minnesota School of Business promote the student’s community service involvement.
- The award will be forfeited if attendance is discontinued or interrupted.
- A student will receive a maximum of one community service scholarship per year.
- Award amounts are designated for tuition only and are divided in ¼ increments, unless the student is enrolled in a three-quarter program, when the award will be awarded in ⅓ increments.
A Globe University/Minnesota School of Business scholarship committee will select scholarship recipients based on:
- The applicants meeting all eligibility guidelines.
- The applicants performing community service activities that benefit the community and support education.
- Date of application: Applications received by the end of week eight of a quarter will be considered for the scholarship beginning the following quarter.
Contact the Director of Financial Aid, Ben Flikeid at email@example.com