Globe University-Woodbury campus awards Carrie Kittleson, medical assistant student, and Amy Shafer, accounting student, with the Community Service Scholarship. The Community Service Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship that rewards students for community service and continued enrollment each quarter. Every Globe University location offers two community service scholarships per quarter to qualifying applicants.
Carrie spends her free time with her children at Grow to Share Inc. Grow to Share is a nonprofit community garden in River Falls, Wisconsin, that grows organic foods to donate to food pantries and shelters. According to Carrie, volunteering with this organization is one of the most simple, relaxing and fulfilling opportunities she has had the pleasure to be involved in.
Along with volunteering with Grow to Share and going to school for medical assisting, Carrie is a student worker at the Globe University-Woodbury campus front desk.
“This scholarship means that I don’t have to take out another student loan,” said Carrie. “It means that I am one step closer to financial stability and, most importantly, that I get to spend a little more time with my kids.”
When Amy is not studying for her bachelor’s degree in accounting, she spends her time volunteering as a softball coach and coordinator for the Spring Valley summer softball program.
“Growing up, my dad was always my softball coach and he was a volunteer. I was brought up to think that giving your time to help others was just the right thing to do,” said Amy. “If you have something good to share and the time to do it, there’s no reason not to. I am happy to know that my children are witnessing me volunteering, and I hope that they grow up thinking it is just the right thing to do.”
Community Service Eligibility and Award Guidelines
An applicant must:
- Be enrolled in a diploma, associate or bachelor’s degree program
- Be a continuing student by having completed at least one term at Globe University/Minnesota School of Business
- Not be in arrears with financial aid or have an outstanding balance with Globe University/Minnesota School of Business
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Meet and maintain a 90 percent attendance ratio of required contact hours
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits to be eligible for the quarter
- Provide, as a scholarship application, a minimum of a one-half page written summary of community service activity performed within the prior three months
- Agree to let Globe University/Minnesota School of Business promote the student’s community service involvement
- The award will be forfeited if attendance is discontinued or interrupted
- Awarded in $500 increments, for up to four consecutive quarters
- A student will receive a maximum of one community service scholarship per year, a year is defined as 12 consecutive months from beginning of term first awarded
- Award amounts are designated for tuition only
“I am happy to award both Carrie and Amy these scholarships,” said Jill Garcia, director of financial aid at the Woodbury campus. “Not only did they exceed the criteria, but they both are great students and prime examples of students who give back and serve our local communities.”
Contact Jill Garcia to learn more about how you can apply for next quarter’s Community Service Scholarship.